Monday, September 15, 2014

Quick LOC update.. Almost 5 months in w/my Micro braid Locs!



Hello Locked beauties and Lock admirers!  I am happy to report that yes my locs are still in place. When I made the decision to lock my hair almost 5 months ago I was elated and over the moon excited about my new found freedom. I am also  happy  to report that I am still in natural hair heaven!  I did not anticipate that it would take me this long to do an update on my locks I have taken so many random photos of my hair I will probably need to make two post back to back to get you fully caught up on my journey!   As for how they  have been looking,  here are a few shots below:





Of course they have been getting really frizzy which comes with the territory of locking, so that has been fully embraced. I almost don't notice frizz now


My locks are really full in the back already, and the sides. 


Typically the front doesn't look very full to me unless I pull all my hair forward? As it is below. 


The nape below is my most active area.  Tons of bunching, marrying of the roots, and budding. Blaming it on the 3c hair in the back! My type 4 hair is keeping it together lol. 


Braid below is bunching and budding, I am assuming


                                       More bunched braids in the nape  


So yah, my hair is doing some serious bunching in the nape area primarily? The rest of my hair isn't bunching, I'm not sure if that is going to start happening or not?  I hear braids typically minimize a lot of the craziness that most people go through while trying to lock.  But my looser curl patterns love to crawl and run everywhere so I am not surprised that there's action there. 


 My ends above,  are also thickening and I am so excited about that because it means my hair is locking! I have a long way to go before they are considered locked.  So y'all locked veterans  help me out
: ).   I  am still learning about locks.  Everything that I've learned so far has been from The Knotty Truth: Creating Beautiful Locks on a dime, by Michele M. George, and my Locktician Keisha at NappyBlissSalon.   M. George's book is phenomenal! I recommend it to anyone who is considering locks or if you already have locks.  It's like a one stop shop for lock wearers as well as those who are in the  business of installing and caring for locks.  

I am a die hard researcher so I have tons of "information" on my situation. But as with my loose natural hair journey, I know most of my knowledge will come from experience, and learning from the mistakes and advice of those who have been where I am.  The health of my locks are definitely my primary concern right now. 

So if you are fully locked how was your hair around month 5?   I'd like to hear from you!    
  



10 comments:

  1. Hi There...I'm way past the five month mark (but I'm sure did document my experience on my blog). I do remember though that it took about 3 years for the back of my head to fully lock which was a pain I tell you. From the pictures and your experience, we are on the same wave length journey, so if you have any questions, let me know. For the most part I have covered everything on my journey, and will from time to time continue to show updates on my hair :). Thanks for following me and right now I'm following your journey as well.

    Kreyola :)
    Kreyola Jounerys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kreyola YAY! you came on over. Thanks for following : ). Its funny I actually found you because of the style aspect of your blog and then just happened to see that you were locked. I just realized last night how many helpful blog post you have on your Sisterlocks. I have already read couple and they were very insightful. I love it when people are completely transparent about their journey because that is the only way you can truly help others. I've always been that way. Sharing the good, bad, and the ugly!

      Your nape didn't fully lock until year 3!? oh wow? With all of the craziness that's taking place this early in my nape I would think it would lock before then. I know it takes at least 2 years to become fully locked, and I expect they will look more like locks by then anyway. I tell yah this is teaching me that patience has many layers!

      Delete
  2. Ah, I'm jus teeing this. So glad the book has blessed your journey! Your hair is really looking wonderful!! Keep up all the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes your book has! I share it with everyone who has questions about starting a lock journey. Thanks for the occasional hand holding! More to post I gotta catch this blog up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your progress. I am considering which process I would like to do. Either braid locs or sister locs. Starting with Braid locs have many perks,the biggest being cost saver. However, I'm not sure I'll be comfortable with the way the braids look when they start maturing. Are they going to look messy, and will I be OK with it? There's not a whole lot of pictures out there showing the process over the course of starting the braid locs till they fully loc. Sister locs, although costly will allow me to get what I want immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes these are the same questions I had. The braid locks did not lock too quickly therefore I did not have a lot of messy hair days. They are awesome for that. Sister locks do lock a lot faster. You should check out fotki.com and search braidlocs. Even though a lot of the journey's are old there are plenty of photos of women sharing the entire process from baby stage to mature!

      Delete
  5. I would love to see what your locs look like now almost a year from your last post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Snn2222, I am sorry to report that I have removed my locs. It was bittersweet but realize that I went in for the wrong reasons. Even though I Loved them! I made it almost 2 years. If you would like to see more images of my micro locks before I took them down you can visit me on instagram at chawthorne3. Thanks!!

      Delete